A Fossil Free South Africa event.
The fiduciary response to the global climate crisis
The early effects of global climate breakdown, from the devastating Northern Cape drought to Cyclone Idai, are hitting South Africa. Climate protests, now led by millions of school children, are multiplying around the world.
Funds worth over $8 trillion have committed to fossil fuel divestment, while 477 investors worth a combined $34 trillion in assets have called on the world’s governments to fully implement the Paris climate treaty and help keep average global warming to 1.5C by 2100. South African legal opinion now suggests all retirement fund boards need to assess and plan for climate and carbon risk. Retirees face multiplying environmental and financial risks.
So how should retirement fund boards respond? These workshops include:
- Expert input from PRI CEO Fiona Reynolds
- An overview of recent climate science
- Fossil Free SA on the global fossil fuel divestment movement
- Just Share on the legal obligations of retirement fund board members
- Naviga Solutions on the BCI Select ESG Equity Fund
- DNA Economics on a climate resilience index
Post event: first thoughts – Read the full synopsis here