Director: Climate Change Engagement
The closing date for applications has passed and this position is now closed.
Just Share is a non-profit shareholder activism organisation. We believe that responsible investment can help to create a more just and inclusive economy. We use advocacy, engagement and activism to drive good corporate citizenship by South African-listed companies and institutional investors.
Our work focuses on three key ESG issues:
- Climate change
- Diversity & transformation
Financial institutions across the globe have an essential role to play in ensuring that the Paris Agreement objective of “making finance flows consistent with a pathway towards low GHG emissions and climate-resilient development” is achieved. Shareholder activism aimed at redirecting finance flows to support a just transition to a low carbon economy is still in its early stages in South Africa: this is an opportunity to make a big difference in an exciting and challenging space.
We are looking for a climate change expert, with a detailed understanding of the intersection between climate risk and financial markets, to lead our climate change and just transition engagement with institutional investors, regulators and listed companies. The role requires a confident, persuasive professional with strong strategic planning abilities and senior management experience. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of South Africa’s social and economic injustices, and be dedicated to contributing to a more just and inclusive society.
Just Share strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. Candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- A postgraduate qualification (preferably in business, law, finance and/or sustainability-related topics), and at least 5 years of relevant experience.
- In-depth knowledge of responsible investment, including regulatory regimes applicable to the integration of environmental, social and governance factors into investment decision-making; and of the intersection between climate risk and financial markets.
- Outstanding communication, networking and interpersonal skills, and extensive experience in public speaking and media engagement.
- Excellent research and analysis skills, and ability to assimilate substantial quantities of complex and constantly evolving information.
- Ability to engage professionally and confidently with a wide variety of stakeholders in the private, public and non-profit sectors, and to build partnerships and manage collaborative initiatives.
- South African citizen.
- The successful candidate will report to the executive director, and will lead Just Share’s climate change engagement and advocacy work with companies, institutional investors, regulators and industry associations. The role will require, inter alia, building relationships with relevant personnel within these entities, research and analysis, drafting of investor briefings and speaking and presenting at public events.
- As a member of Just Share’s management team, contributing to the overall strategic management of the organisation, as well as ensuring its good reputation, institutional strength and resilience and the well-being of staff.
- Building and managing local and international networks and partnerships to maximise impact.
- Financial management including budgeting, monitoring and recording expenditure and the preparation of funder reports.
- Managing the performance, well-being and career development of the Just Share team.
- Fundraising and building and maintaining donor relationships.
Based at Just Share’s offices in Kenilworth, Cape Town.
R 780 000 – R 895 000 p/a
How to apply
Please send the following documents to [email protected], with the email subject line “JS2/2020 / Director climate change engagement
- Cover letter setting out your skills and relevant experience, and why you want to work at Just Share; and
- One recent written reference