The closing date for applications has passed and this position is now closed.
Just Share is a dynamic new non-profit organisation which has been established to mobilise investor power for a fairer South Africa. Just Share will advance responsible investing and support shareholder activism to reduce inequality, prevent environmental degradation and accelerate the transition to a low-carbon economy by:
- Building partnerships with and enhancing collaboration between investors, civil society, savers, financial institutions and government.
- Providing meaningful and comparable environmental, social and governance (ESG) information to investors.
- Incentivising and supporting the use of shareholder power to drive good corporate citizenship.
- Connecting the lived reality of communities and social justice organisations with the decisions of the investor community.
Just Share’s objectives will be to stimulate active ownership and responsible investment by shareholders, to force companies to internalise the values of corporate citizenship, and to end impunity for companies which conduct business in an unlawful, unsustainable or exploitative manner. It will do this by conducting research and analysis of corporate conduct, by collating and consolidating civil society corporate accountability information to support social justice campaigns, and by supporting, facilitating and participating in stakeholder engagement with investors and companies.
Just Share calls for applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to take up the position of its first Executive Director. The Executive Director must be a strong, driven and strategic leader.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- An appropriate tertiary qualification and financial and/or legal background, and at least 10 years’ relevant experience. [Previous experience in establishment of non-profit organisations is preferable, but not essential.]
- A solid understanding of the responsible investment space and the impact of the investment system on society and the environment, coupled with an activist attitude that motivates for positive change.
- Willingness to engage with and learn from the experience of others, and to support and amplify the work of partner organisations.
- A strong commitment to collaboration and support for the social and environmental justice sector, with the overall aim of reducing inequality and promoting human rights.
- Strong communication and networking skills.
- An understanding of the fundamentals of strategic communication.
- Strong strategic planning, research and analysis skills.
- Experience and skills in human resource management, budgeting and financial management.
- Experience and skills in fundraising and building and maintaining relationships with donors.
- Substantial and demonstrated networking capabilities, including building partnerships with community and civil society organisations, corporates and government.
- Public speaking skills, and experience in dealing with the media.
- A passion for social and environmental justice.
- A commitment to diversity, inclusion and transformation.
- Providing strategic leadership and direction for Just Share.
- Ensuring proper governance and oversight of Just Share by its board of directors, to be appointed, including acting as director on and convening meetings of the board of directors.
- Raising funds for Just Share, reporting to and maintaining relationships with donors.
- Ensuring implementation and maintenance of proper financial management systems and reporting of all funds.
- Human resource management of all staff of Just Share, including recruitment and appropriate policies.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable legislation.
- Building the profile of Just Share with key stakeholders and audiences, and managing media relations.
- Building a local and international network between Just Share and other institutions and stakeholders.
- Establishment of website and social media presence.
- Development of monitoring and evaluation indicators.
- Assisting with the recording and sharing of learning for systemic change.
Just Share strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
- Complete the application form: AA bio summary form
- Send a copy of your CV, letter of motivation and completed AA bio summary form to Tracy Nyman – Email: [email address=”[email protected]”]