Responsible investment internship
The closing date for applications has passed and this position is now closed.
Just Share is a non-profit shareholder activism organisation. We believe that responsible investment is necessary to create a just, inclusive and sustainable economy. We use research, engagement, advocacy and activism to drive urgent action to combat climate change and reduce inequality.
Just Share is the only organisation in South Africa dedicated to using responsible investment and sustainable finance as mechanisms to advance social and environmental justice. We hold companies and institutional investors accountable for the gap between their commitments and their actions.
We are looking for a recent graduate with a finance background, who is keen to use their skills and qualifications to contribute to building a better society.
This is a rare opportunity to gain experience at the cutting edge of social justice-oriented shareholder activism. The successful candidate will interact and collaborate with civil society organisations driving positive change in South Africa, and with shareholder activism organisations around the world.
Just Share strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. Candidates from historically disadvantaged groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a 12 month contract, starting 1 April 2022 or as close to that as possible.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Finance-related degree
- Understanding of and interest in the complexity of South Africa’s socio-economic environment
- Research and data analysis skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines
- South African citizen
- Research and analysis of company reports, financial data, academic publications, policy briefs, etc.
- Tracking and assessing local and global developments in responsible investment and shareholder activism, including environmental, social and governance (ESG)-reporting mechanisms.
- Assisting with investor and company engagement, including attending Annual General Meetings (AGMs), and researching for and preparing AGM questions.
- Assisting with planning of Just Share events.
- General support to the Just Share team, including note-taking, transcription, printing, filing, proof-reading and other tasks related to the smooth running of the organisation.
Based at Just Share’s offices in Kenilworth, Cape Town, and involving work from home when necessitated by Covid-19-related restrictions.
The salary for this position is R180 000 – R200 000 (cost to company).
How to apply
Please email Just Share at [email protected] attaching a cover letter motivating your interest in and suitability for this role, as well as a copy of your CV.
Applications submitted without a motivating cover letter will not be considered.
Please note that we may require short-listed applicants to complete an assignment.