Senior inequality analyst
The closing date for applications has passed and this position is now closed.
Just Share is a non-profit shareholder activism organisation. We believe that responsible investment is necessary to create a just, inclusive and sustainable economy. We use research, engagement, advocacy and activism to drive urgent action to combat climate change and reduce inequality.
Just Share is the only organisation in South Africa dedicated to using responsible investment and sustainable finance as mechanisms to advance social and environmental justice. We hold companies and institutional investors accountable for the gap between their commitments and their actions.
South Africa is the most unequal society in the world. This inequality is widespread and multidimensional. Wage inequality (in particular vertical and gender pay gaps) is a key driver of overall inequality, but many business leaders continue to oppose the disclosure of wage gaps within their organisations. Without this disclosure, it is impossible to assess and verify claims that executive remuneration is fair and responsible, and impossible to analyse the true contribution of wage inequality to South Africa’s extreme levels of poverty and joblessness.
Just Share is recruiting a senior inequality analyst and invites applications from interested and suitably-qualified candidates.
We are seeking an experienced analyst with a deep understanding of South Africa’s social and economic injustices, to work with Just Share’s inequality team.
Just Share strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. Candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualifications, skills and experience
This role provides scope for the successful candidate to develop new areas of advocacy and activism. Candidates with the following qualifications, skills and attributes are encouraged to apply:
- A tertiary qualification and at least 5 years of relevant work experience.
- A commitment to addressing racial, gender and economic injustice in South Africa.
- Strong research and analytical skills, and ability to assimilate complex information from a variety of sources and convey this in a clear and compelling manner.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, with an eye for detail. Previous experience liaising with and responding to media would be advantageous.
- Ability to engage professionally and confidently with a wide variety of stakeholders in the financial, corporate and non-profit sectors, and to build partnerships and manage collaborative initiatives.
- Solid understanding of responsible investment, including regulatory regimes applicable to the integration of environmental, social and governance factors into investment decision-making.
- Flexibility, enthusiasm and professionalism.
- Conduct rigorous research and analysis of corporate disclosures and regulatory regimes relating to remuneration, wage gaps, diversity and transformation.
- Track and analyse the implementation of remuneration, inequality, diversity & transformation commitments, strategies and targets of JSE-listed companies.
- Monitor and engage with local and international developments in responsible investment relating to fair pay and diversity.
- Conduct and support engagement with and outreach to companies, investors, regulators, policy-makers and the media.
- Lead the writing and editing of high-quality reports, investor briefings, regulatory submissions and funding proposals and presentations.
- Contribute to the overall strategic management of the organisation and to ensuring its good reputation, institutional strength, and the resilience and well-being of staff.
- Train, manage and provide guidance to junior staff.
Based at Just Share’s offices in Kenilworth, Cape Town, and involving work from home when necessitated by Covid-19-related restrictions. We will consider remote working for exceptional candidates.
The salary for this position is R650 000 (cost to company) per annum.
How to apply
Please email Just Share at [email protected] attaching a cover letter motivating your interest in and suitability for this role, as well as a copy of your CV.
Applications submitted without a motivating cover letter will not be considered.
Please note that we may require short-listed applicants to complete an assignment.