4 August 2020
We are hiring: Investor engagement manager
Just Share is a non-profit shareholder activism organisation. We believe that radical responsible investment is necessary to create a more just and inclusive economy. We use advocacy, engagement and activism to drive good corporate citizenship by South African-listed companies and institutional investors.
Our work focuses on three key environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues:
- Climate change
- Diversity & transformation
The financial services sector has a vital role to play in rebuilding the post-Covid economy in a way that stimulates and prioritises the green, equitable, sustainable investment that is crucial for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Just Share is looking for a confident, enterprising person who understands the intersection between the financial sector and our social, economic and environmental challenges. Applicants should be able to articulate clearly the role and responsibility of different actors in the financial sector in creating a more just and inclusive economy. The successful candidate will support our engagement with banks, asset managers, pension funds, regulators and policy makers.
This is an exciting time to work in the shareholder activism space: across the globe, the crises triggered by the coronavirus pandemic have crystallised the interconnectedness of our natural, economic and social systems. It is becoming more and more obvious that governments, institutional investors and companies must deploy capital responsibly and sustainably if we are to avoid ever-increasing catastrophes driven by climate change and inequality.
Just Share strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. Candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- A postgraduate qualification and at least 5 years of relevant experience.
- Solid understanding of the financial services sector.
- Solid understanding of South Africa’s social, environmental & economic injustices.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis skills.
- Ability to work fast and accurately.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal – experience in writing press releases and social media content would be an advantage.
- Ability to write about complex topics in a straightforward and understandable manner.
- Ability to assimilate new and complex subject areas and communicate them effectively.
- Public speaking skills (experience in dealing with the media would be an advantage).
- Ability to engage proactively and confidently with a wide variety of stakeholders in the private & public sectors.
- South African citizen.
Although this role will be varied and applicants should be prepared to adapt to the ever-changing requirements of effective advocacy and engagement in this space, the types of activities that this role will involve include:
- Research and analysis of asset owner, asset manager and company disclosures and actions on key ESG issues.
- Tracking and analysis of implementation of responsible investment policies and commitments, and engagement with policy-making processes.
- Assimilating global developments in responsible investment and shareholder activism.
- Conducting and supporting engagement with and outreach to investors, regulators and policy-makers in relation to Just Share’s advocacy and activism.
- Research and preparation of investor briefings, media releases, shareholder resolutions, op-eds, comments on regulatory instruments and AGM questions.
- Supporting Just Share’s strategic communication strategy, including speaking and presenting at public events.
Based in Cape Town
R 570 000 – R 650 000 p/a
Monday 31 August 2020
How to apply
Please send an up to date CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject line JS3/2020 / Investor Engagement Manager.
Please ensure that your cover letter is no more than two sides of an A4 page, and that you address all of the criteria in the “essential requirements” specification above. You must provide details of work experience, skills and achievements relevant to this post, as well as any other information to support your application. Please tell us briefly why you want to work at Just Share.