5 February 2021
We’re hiring: Senior Climate Risk Analyst
Applications close: 1 March 2021
Just Share is a non-profit shareholder activism organisation. We believe that responsible investment is necessary to create a just, inclusive and sustainable economy.
We use research, engagement, advocacy and activism to drive urgent action to combat climate change and reduce inequality.
Our work exposes systemic discrimination, and entrenched barriers to sustainable corporate behaviour. We hold companies and institutional investors accountable for the gap between their commitments and their actions.
Despite decades of warnings, and ever-mounting evidence of the physical, social and economic risks posed by failing to tackle climate change, the financial sector continues to direct money to the fossil fuel industry, and fails to align its policies and practices with a sustainable, low-carbon future.
South Africa is severely exposed to climate risk, which, in turn, amplifies the effects of other environmental and social challenges, including the current COVID-19 pandemic. South Africa must urgently plan and execute a well-managed, careful transitioning of our economy to one that is low-carbon, socially-inclusive, more equal, and more resilient.
By continuing to provide capital to the fossil fuel industry, financial institutions are exacerbating the climate crisis, delaying the transition to a clean energy economy, contributing to ongoing biodiversity loss and pollution, and harming local communities who are on the frontline of the impacts of polluting, extracting industries.
In the past three years, Just Share and our partners have put climate risk firmly on the radar of the South African financial sector. It is now time for the sector to make concrete, measurable commitments to phase out funding for fossil fuels, and to rapidly escalate funding for a low-carbon economy.
Just Share is looking for a senior climate risk analyst, to support our director for climate change engagement, by managing complex research and analysis assignments related to climate risk in the financial sector. We are seeking a technically competent, experienced analyst with a deep understanding of South Africa’s social and economic injustices, dedicated to driving climate action and supporting the just transition to a low-carbon, sustainable economy.
Just Share strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. Candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualifications, skills and experience
This is a niche, specialist role in South Africa, and we understand that applicants may not be able to fulfill all of these requirements. These are therefore preferred requirements, but we will consider other suitably qualified and experienced candidates whose applications are convincingly motivated.
- A postgraduate qualification in natural sciences and/or finance, and at least 5 years of relevant experience.
- Strong expertise in the technical aspects of climate change and applicable regulatory regimes, including voluntary reporting mechanisms and relevant global initiatives.
- Understanding of climate finance and the financial sector actors and actions that are key to driving a low-carbon, climate-resilient economy and “building back better” in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Solid understanding of responsible investment, including regulatory regimes applicable to the integration of environmental, social and governance factors into investment decision-making; and of the intersection between climate risk and financial markets.
- Excellent research and analysis skills, and ability to assimilate substantial quantities of complex and constantly-evolving information, and convey this in a clear and compelling manner to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to engage professionally and confidently with a wide variety of stakeholders in the financial, corporate and non-profit sectors, and to build partnerships and manage collaborative initiatives.
- Flexibility, enthusiasm and professionalism.
- Commitment to addressing climate, racial and economic injustice.
- South African citizen.
- Conduct rigorous research and analysis of climate change and just transition-related reports, disclosures, and regulatory regimes, including international climate finance mechanisms and climate and energy policies.
- Track and analyse the implementation of climate change-related commitments, strategies and targets.
- Conduct and support engagement with and outreach to investors, regulators, policy-makers and the media in relation to Just Share’s climate change advocacy and activism.
- Lead the writing and editing of high-quality reports, investor briefings, regulatory inputs and presentations.
- Train, manage and provide guidance to junior staff.
- Contribute, as a member of Just Share’s team, to the overall strategic management of the organisation and to ensuring its good reputation, institutional strength, and the resilience and well-being of staff.
- Build and manage local and international networks and partnerships to maximise impact.
- Collaborate with project partners to meet deliverables.
Based at Just Share’s offices in Kenilworth, Cape Town (and some work from home when necessitated by Coronavirus-related restrictions). We will consider remote working for exceptional candidates.
How to apply
Please send the information and documents listed below to [email protected], with the email subject line “JS1/2021 / Senior Climate Risk Analyst”.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- CV, including contact details of at least two referees.
- Cover letter setting out:
- your skills and relevant experience and how these relate to the position advertised;
- in brief, what you understand about the work that we do; and
- why you want to work at Just Share.
Please note that we may require short-listed applicants to complete an assignment.