Applications close: 31 January 2022
Just Share is a non-profit shareholder activism organisation, and the only organisation in South Africa dedicated to using responsible investment and sustainable finance as mechanisms to advance social and environmental justice.
We believe that responsible investment is necessary to create a just, inclusive and sustainable economy. We use engagement, advocacy and activism to drive urgent action to combat climate change and reduce inequality.
The Just Share board is recruiting non-executive directors to fill vacancies on the board, and invites applications from interested and suitably-qualified candidates.
Applicants should possess the qualifications, skills, expertise, and commitment to support Just Share in achieving its objectives.
Qualifications, skills and experience
Just Share and its board are committed to ensuring that our governing body contains an appropriate balance of knowledge, skills, experience, diversity, and independence, to enable it to discharge its governance role and responsibilities objectively and effectively. Suitably-qualified candidates, with credentials and/or experience in one or more of the following areas, are encouraged to apply:
- Asset management, asset consulting, financial services and pension fund administration;
- Responsible investment, ESG-integration and active ownership;
- Climate science and the low carbon transition;
- Governance, inequality studies, organisational diversity and transformation;
- Fundraising, strategic communications and public relations.
The Just Share Board strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity. Candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must have a clear understanding of the fiduciary duties of a director and demonstrate the following personal characteristics:
- Integrity: have experience in a position of trust requiring the applicant to act in good faith, avoid conflicts of interest and display the highest standards of honesty and integrity within and outside of Just Share and its board.
- Independence: be able to exercise judgment independently of any stakeholder and any listed company, pension/provident fund, asset manager or other investor. Candidates should not occupy any political office (in any political party) or occupy a position in any sphere of government.
- Competence: must have obtained a degree or equivalent qualification and have demonstrable practical knowledge and experience relevant to the role.
- Provide governance and strategic support to the Just Share Executive Director and team, including oversight of strategic planning and objectives, financial management, risk management, human resources, and regulatory requirements.
- The Just Share Board meets at least quarterly, with additional ad hoc meetings when required, and annual strategic planning meetings.
- Non-executive directors are required to have the capacity to dedicate the necessary time and attention to preparation for meetings, including the review and consideration of director’s reports, financial reports, annual budgets, financial statements, and organisational policies and procedures, and for post-meeting review and feedback.
Non-executive director positions are not remunerated, but all reasonable and agreed travel expenses will be covered by Just Share.
How to apply
Please email [email protected] attaching a letter motivating your interest in and suitability for this role, as well as a copy of your CV.